Thursday, September 16, 2010

On Gay's, Lesbians, Kiss Cam's, and Sporting Events

If you've been anywhere near the St. Louis area in the last 24 hours, you've undoubtedly heard the controversy (fueled mainly by the fact that it was, indeed, a slow news day): Gays and Lesbians feel they are being discriminated against at St. Louis Cardinal baseball games because they aren't included in the "Kiss Cam" that goes around prodding unsuspecting couples into not-so-spontaneous liplocks at dull points in the game.

I'll get to my opinion about this in a second, but first, some full disclosure: I generally don't have much love for any of the bizarro scoreboard stuff that we get force-fed at your typical American sporting event these days. I don't need a scoreboard to tell me to "get loud" or to "pump it up". I don't really care which of the three hats the animated baseball is hiding under. I don't need the Jumbotron to "entertain" me...after all, that's what the damn game is for, isn't it? Over in England, soccer fans don't have to be prompted by a scoreboard to begin singing "In The Liverpool Slums"--they do so out of pure passion,(and also, because there's a lot of truth to the song as well!)

As an aside, here's a site with many anti-Liverpool soccer chants...you never know when these might come in handy: http://www.prideofmanchester.com/sport/mufc-songs-liverpool.htm

As you might be able to ascertain, the concept of the "Kiss Cam" itself isn't exactly something that I would consider a necessary (or even entertaining) part of any sporting event. I paid $80 to scream at referees, watch the Rams offensive line miss blocks, witness Blaine Gabbert scramble into trouble, or see the Cardinals blow another insurmountable lead. I'm not paying that money to watch complete strangers (and mainly unattractive ones at that) slobber all over each other.

So I've got a bit of a bad taste in my mouth (pun intended) as far as "Kiss Cams" go to begin with. Therefore, you can probably imagine that I'm even less inclined to sympathize with the comments of a few gay people that they are being "excluded" in some way. The argument on their side is that they should be allowed the priveledge of appearing on the Cam just as straight people are (wait...appearing on that thing is a "priviledge"? I'd put good money on the statement that at least half of the people appearing on the damn thing would rather not show up on it!) Here's the problem I have with that idea--the Kiss Cam (and assorted other scoreboard crap) is ostensibly presented as a part of the overall entertainment at the stadium...never mind that it really isn't all that entertaining, the idea is that it is supposed to be entertaining. Therefore, one would think that the emphasis would be on presenting "entertainment" that would be palatable to the majority of people in the stadium. I hate to break this to all the gay/lesbian/transmorphified/whatever groups, but the majority of the people in the stadium *don't* want to see you smooching (heck, a good number of us don't want to see the straight people doing it either), therefore, since it wouldn't be palatable entertainment for the paying customers, you can't expect to be "included".

Besides, what do they think would actually happen if the Kiss Cam did catch a gay couple in mid liplock? The crowd would react one of two ways, neither of which would be what the Gay Community wants: If the smoochers were two guys or two unattractive women, the crowd would likely boo or groan. On the other hand, if the smoochers where two attractive lesbians, you'd instead hear an uproar of catcalls and other assorted testosterone-inspired comments (I'll be the guy yelling: "Take her shirt off!!!"). Would either reaction be what the Gay Community is looking for? I doubt it.

Don't get me wrong, there probably are some cities in America where such a display wouldn't be offensive to the paying cusotmers (San Fransisco for example...of course, they also serve Sushi at their sporting events, so I've lost all respect for San Francisco sporting culture right around the time that Ray "The Crippler" Stevens left town). If we're talking about one of those towns, go for it, knock yourselves out, whatever. But here in the midwest, the vast majority of people don't want to see such behavior. The Gay groups that are pushing this out here are trying to do one thing and one thing only, they want some quick publicity by trying to push something onto the public that they want no part of. Most straight people have no problem with gays doing whatever they want to do in the privacy of their own homes...but that doesn't seem to be good enough for many spokespeople in that community. They wish to force mainstream society to "accept" their behavior and change our definitions of what an acceptable family structure is. And that's where I have the problem with it all. I'd have much more respect for the Gay Community (and perhaps some empathy) if they were focused on assimilating into society...instead, they seem to be focused on changing society, and I think that's where they are crossing a line that shouldn't be crossed.

Remember #8 on my list of my "12 Key Conservative Concepts": "I don't care what you do in your bedroom...but I do care whe you expose my kids to it". Gays have made the decision to live a lifestyle outside the norm of society. That's fine, I've got no problem with that. But when they try to force mainstream society to accept or appreciate that decision, then that is what cannot and should not be accepted.

2 comments:

  1. CWG, You hit the nail on the head in the last paragraph. Its not only the gay/lesbian agenda, its the very disturbing images that are on children's television also. Why should my child feel inferior because they don't speak a second language? Or why should young white girls be inundated with constant images of interracial dating. (Because god knows that any white girl who hasn't went out with a black guy is a horrible racist!) I don't mind it when it is a legitimate relationship, but for most of the situations its merely for the "Shock" factor, and little "South Side Barbie" (No offense to those named Barbie!) can holla RACIST to the white middle-aged guy who doesn't give them a "Awwwww, isn't that cute?" look. I never dated a black woman because I personally am not attracted to them. Just like guys don't like blondes, or short girls or fat girls, Its not that I don't like black women. I just don't find a majority of them attractive. But I'm a racist in a lot of peoples eyes because I never dated a minority.
    I have nothing against gays or lesbians. However, I wouldn't think of going to Pridefest and inundating the participants with images of hetro couples making out. I don't want to see them making out, and I'm sure they don't want to see my wife and I doing likewise. Im embarassed by the way straight couples act in public at times.
    Its a hard world out there. If two people love each other, more power to them. Just don't force me to watch them in what should be an intimate expression of their love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Firstly, my apologies for taking so long to get your comment published...I'm new to this blog thing, so I'm still working out the kinks--and unfortunately, I just saw that your comment was waiting to be posted nearly a month after the fact. My bad! Secondly, I'm on board with you--whatever a person chooses to do with their private life isn't any of my concern by and large...but keep it your *private* life. There's a time and a place for everything, and a public gathering is not the place for a couple (regardless of sexual orientation) to be slobbering, bumping, and grinding all over each other. In the privacy of your own home? Knock yourself out--I couldn't care less what you do there. Within the confines of your bedroom? Ditto. But out in public where I have to explain to my kids what your doing? C'mon people, let's have some class. The key for gays should be assimilation into regular society and culture, not rebellion against it.

    ReplyDelete